For your vehicle to work properly every day, you should have the best throttle body cleaners in your toolbox. A throttle body is a prominent component of the engine that ensures it works well daily. Over time it may collect up dirt and grime that may hinder air and fuel intake. Most throttle body cleaners come in sizeable cans that you only need to spray on the affected area and voila!
They are compatible with most coated materials and plastic to ensure you do not disassemble the entire carburetor just to clean up. With so many throttle body cleaners being introduced into the market, it can be a bit overwhelming to find the right product. Luckily, we bring you top 10 best reviews in 2020 to help you take home the best throttle body cleaner.
1. CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner 05110
Maintain your throttle body easily with the help of the CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner 05110. This product is highly efficient and works by increasing horsepower and improving air and fuel as well as MPG. It is designed with advanced Cozol technology so it can clean mass airflow sensors.
This throttle body cleaner is safe for plastic and delicate hot wire as it dries within a matter of seconds. It is ideal for use every time you clean or change your filter. Besides, this product comes in various sizes and at various prices to suit people of various needs and budgets.
- This cleaner does what it says and is very easy to use
- It makes better throttle response and start-up after use
- There are instructions included to keep you informed on when and how to use the product
- This product can be dangerous on the skin, so use it with caution
2. Gumout 800002231 Carb and Choke Cleaner,
Quickly remove deposits from the outside and inside of the carburetor using the Gumout 800002231 Carb and Choke Cleaner. It cleans varnish, gum, and dirt from clogged carburetors and choke valves to enhance engine performance and fuel economy. This product can be sprayed on unpainted metal parts so it can quickly and effectively dissolve the buildup and dry quickly without leaving residues.
It reduces heat and friction resulting in horsepower to help overcome hard starting, stalling, rough idling, and high exhaust emissions. Plus, this throttle body comes in a large 14oz bottle so you can use it long enough before replacing.
- This cleaner prevents new deposits from forming
- It comes at a better price for the size
- This cleaner works well and dissolves in no time without removing the carb
- It is very easy to use
- This product may tingle the skin if not handled with proper care
3. CRC Throttle Body and Air-Intake Cleaner 05078
Consider the CRC Throttle Body and Air-Intake Cleaner 05078 for easier starting and smoother engine performance. It works by breaking down dirt and residue build-up to prevent stalling and rough idling. This throttle body cleaner is safe for use on coated throttle bodies so it can efficiently clean gum and varnish.
As such, you can use it to clean air-intakes, throttles valves, as well as the fuel-injected gasoline engines. This throttle cleaner comes in two options for you to choose from depending on your requirements. What’s more, it is affordably priced so it is easy to acquire by almost every automotive owner.
- This is a high-quality product and it is very simple to use
- It takes care of every gunk build up, leaving surfaces shinier
- This throttle body cleaner is suitable for so many applications
- This cleaner has a strong chemical smell; hence, you should use it with a mouth and eye mask
4. 3M Throttle Plate and Carb Cleaner – 08867
Featuring an ergonomic design, the 3M Throttle Plate and Carb Cleaner – 08867 gives you maximum control when dispensing the cleaner. It is easy to use with an applicator that allows for holding the can at an angle or even upside down. This cleaner works by cleaning and lubricating throttle bodies and carburetor assemblies to help restore optimum operating efficiency.
Hence, it makes a vehicle easier to start with smoother runs. This cleaner contains less than 10% VOC that makes it safe for use on coated throttle plates. It comes in several varieties for you to choose from according to your needs and preferences.
- This cleaner is oxygen sensor safe
- It is a cost-effective unit given its size
- This product makes a great all-purpose cleaner for different makes of vehicles
- It is safe for catalytic converters
- The chemical used can be dangerous; thus, the product should be used in a well-ventilated area
5. Marvel Mystery Oil Ultimate Fuel and Motor Treatment 50735
Designed with advanced engine technology, the Marvel Mystery Oil Ultimate Fuel and Motor Treatment 50735 can stabilize fuel for months. As a result, it is well-suited for use on all engines including GDI and Hybrids. It is also ideal for high mileage vehicles and for preventative maintenance.
When added to the gas, this treatment cleans and lubricates fuel carburetors and injectors, extends spark plug life, improves gasoline mileage, and prevents gum build-up. It provides top-end lubrication that is essential for restoring power and fuel economy. This treatment comes in two options at various prices to meet various budgets and needs.
- The price of this kit is cheaper than most similar products
- It works for heavy load and extreme weather conditions
- This product is effective for tons of automotive and household applications
- This cleaner may come with shipping defects; otherwise, it works well
6. Gunk Chlorinated Carburetor Parts Cleaner M4814-12PK
Formulated with powerful solvents, the Gunk Chlorinated Carburetor Parts Cleaner M4814-12PK removes gum, varnish, dirt, and sludge. Thus, it is ideal for cleaning the carburetor and combustion chamber of gasoline engines. This product is very easy to use since it does not require additional tools or equipment to apply.
It is safe for oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. This cleaner is very easy to use as all you need to do is spray on and let it sit for 30 to 45 seconds. And the best part is that it dries quickly so the gunk just wipes right out to improve your engine’s efficiency.
- This cleaner comes in a value pack of 12 pieces
- It fits the bill for many automotive cleaning applications
- This product cleans gasoline carburetors without removal
- The price is a little high, considering you can use one can in one cleaning session
7. CRC Carb and Choke Cleaner Aerosol Can, 12 oz
Formulated with low volatile organic compounds (VOC), the CRC Carb and Choke Cleaner Aerosol Can, 12 oz improves fuel system, carburetor performance, and fuel economy. It is recommended for cleaning automatic chokes, intake parts, carburetor elements, and ventilating systems. This cleaner has a fast-acting action to quickly dissolve carburetor deposits such as a sludge varnish and gum.
It is compatible with oxygen sensors and catalytic converts so it will not do any harm. This product meets US EPA and California organic volatile compound requirement to ensure you can use it with confidence. Besides, it comes in two various options for you to choose from according to your needs.
- This is a good product and it cleans very well
- It is affordably priced compared to other products of the same size
- This cleaner removes deposits completely
- It is compatible with many components that are coated
- There isn’t much product in the can, so use it sparingly
8. Yamalube Carburetor Cleaner Dip, 32 oz.
The Yamalube Carburetor Cleaner Dip, 32 oz. is one of the best products for removing green growth in carburetors. It will not cause O-rings to swell nor discolor metals like other throttle body cleaners do. This cleaner is easy to use as all you need to do is mix it with warm water and apply or soak parts.
It is non-acoustic, meaning you can apply it without disassembling the carburetor since it will not destroy rubber parts. Also, this product cleans heavy garnish as well as residues and it can be stored in a sealed container for reusing over and over again.
- This product does not smell as bad as most do
- It works well and it is much stronger than spray cleaners
- The ability to reuse it over and over helps to save money
- The product comes in a large bottle giving you great value for money
- May come with a few defects; however, this can be replaced within 30 days
9. Berryman Products Choke and Throttle Body Cleaner 0117C B-12
Quickly dissolve fuel residue, gum, varnish and other fuel residue using the Berryman Products Choke and Throttle Body Cleaner 0117C B-12. It is catalytic converter safe, oxygen sensor safe and VOC compliant in all 50 states so you can buy with confidence. This cleaner contains 100% high-energy solvent technology to clean carburetors, choke, linkages, PCV valve, and throttle body.
When used in a vehicle it leads to better vehicle drivability and fuel economy. This cleaner comes in a variety of sizes to enable you to choose from according to the task you have at hand. Better yet, this product is very easy to use; it dries quickly and completely without leaving any residue.
- This throttle cleaner can be used on a wide variety of automotive
- It works great to eat away all build up on valves
- The nozzle works smoothly so you don’t have to turn it upside down
- May come with shipping defects; however, it works well
Check also: Best Leather Repair Kits
10. WD-40 Throttle Cleaner, 13.5 OZ
When you apply the WD-40 Throttle Cleaner, the result is an engine that starts up fast and easy as well as consistent idle with less staling. It has a dual-action cleaning system; one is a solvent that breaks up tough carbon deposits and the other is a powerful spray that blasts away deposits and waste.
This cleaner is well-suited for old and new vehicles and equipment including cars, motorcycles, trucks and lawn mowers among others. It does not affect oxygen sensors or catalytic converters in case of incidental contact. Additionally, this cleaner comes in a sizeable bottle at a pocket-friendly price to give you great value for money.
- This cleaner does a great job on fuel injectors
- It breaks down all the carbon in the engine
- This cleaner is highly versatile to accommodate several uses
- May cause irritation to the skin if not used carefully
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Throttle Body Cleaner
If you are wondering how you are going to find the right throttle body cleaner with the several varieties available, stop worrying and check out the following factors.
When it comes to throttle body cleaners size goes hand in hand with the price. Although most throttle cleaners come in an average of 10 to 15oz, the best cleaner is one that comes in a sizeable can without costing too much. This ensures you get a good amount of the cleaning product at a fair price.
Ease of use
Even though throttle body cleaners are designed to work in almost the same way, some are easier to use than others. To ensure you get a product that is easy to use, check if it has an ergonomic design that can allow you to use at any angle. Besides, the design should let the cleaning product come out easily without any difficulty.
Throttle body cleaners are normally designed to work with specific makes and models of vehicles. Surprisingly, there are other throttle body cleaners that can work with almost any model of vehicle. As if that’s not enough, they can work with any engine-driven machine. So consider a versatile throttle cleaner if you want to get value for your money.
While you can take your vehicle to a professional for engine cleaning, throttle body cleaning is a simple task that as an experienced vehicle owner you can handle. Most throttle body cleaners included here are easy to use and you’ll figure-out technically by yourself. Thus, you should read through the above compilation in order to discover the product that will improve your engine’s performance.