Residential zero turn mowers are different from ordinary lawn mowers in the sense that their turning radius is effectively zero. Although different models and brands achieve that in various ways, the hydraulic speed control of each drive wheel is the most common. Zero-turn mowers are easy to maneuver, meaning you can use them to cut grass even on yards full of obstacles and trees. The best residential zero turn mowers are hard to find though because every manufacturer claims to be producing the best model.
That’s why we have taken it upon ourselves to provide you with accurate and detailed information on the features of a high-performance mower as well as how to find a top-notch model. Well, one great feature that these mowers have is longer battery life. This means on a full charge, you will be able to cut grass nicely and leave behind a neat, visually-appealing yard. These mowers are also comfortable to use because their seats are well padded and of great quality. Plus they are light in weight, but not too light to the extent that they easily tip over.
Take a look at the following brands that are currently the talk of the town.
10.Worx WG779 40V Cordless 14” Lawn Mower
You will be impressed with the performance of this lawn mower. It is packed with lots of great features like patented intellicut technology, which delivers power on demand and helps you save your battery for when you really need it. The lawn mower uses two 20-volt 4.0Ah batteries that give it an extended run time and 40 volts of power. It comes with a dual port charger with battery power level indicators. And its handles are padded to provide a comfortable grip for reduced fatigue during use.
- Comes nicely packaged and mostly assembled
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Great for smaller yards
- The battery life could be better
9. Ariens 915223 IKON-X 52” Zero Turn Mower
Customers demand absolute perfection. And that’s exactly what Ariens offers. Their residential zero-turn mower has a 52-inch fabricated deck that is 4-1/2 inches deep and constructed with 10-gauge steel. Well, this enables the lawn mower to cut grass nicely on various terrains. In addition, the lawn mower comes equipped with a high-back padded seat with armrests to provide you with unmatched comfort, so you can cut the grass for an extended period.
- Cuts the grass well
- Built tough to deliver solid performance
- Deck sticks more on one side, making it possible to cut right on the edge of a curb
- May come with issues, but the manufacturer is always ready to assist
8. Swisher ZTR2454CL-CA 54” Zero Turn Mower
Swisher has designed this residential zero turn mower with great features to make a tedious chore of mowing the grass into an exciting and relaxing ride. Their ZTR2452CL-CA 51-Inch Mower comes equipped with patented rapid response control system, which improves control and comfort. It also has a front debris shield that improves grass discharge and air flow. Its rear tires are 20 x 10 inches and the front casters are 12 x 6 inches. Moreover, the lawn mower has a high back seat with armrests to further provide comfort during lawn-mowing.
- Cuts the grass as expected
- Comfortable and easy to use
- The tires and casters provide a smooth ride
- None so far
7. Greenworks Pro 80V 21-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower, GLM801600
This residential zero turn mower uses 4.0Ah battery, which when fully charged, offers up to 60 minutes of run time. Well, this means you will cut the grass continuously and finish your chores at a convenient time. The lawn mower also boasts Smart Cut Technology that improves its performance as well as extending the run time. In addition, it has a 21-inch steel deck featuring a 3-in-1 design for side discharging, mulching, and rear bag capability.
- Very light and easy to use
- The compact design makes the mower easy to store
- Easy to move around
- The bagger attachment eliminates the need for raking
- Battery and charger not included
6. Swisher Response 24 HP 54” Zero Turn Mower
Packed with features, this residential zero-turn mower will no doubt keep the grass on your yard short and evenly cut. The mower has patented rapid response control system that makes it easy to control as well as comfortable to use. Ideally, the cutting deck of this mower is wide enough (54 inches wide); hence, it cuts lots of grass in one round. Other features include 24 HP Briggs & Stratton engine for improved overall performance and front debris shield for improved grass discharge and air flow.
- The quality is great
- Easy to operate and runs smoothly
- The cutting deck is wide enough
- None so far
5. Husqvarna Z242F42 in. 18HP Zero Turn Riding Mower
The Husqvarna Z242F 42-inch Zero-Turn Riding Mower combines performance and style to make grass-cutting an exciting chore. It has a park brake system that automatically deactivates or activates as the steering levers are moved inwards or outwards. It also has a Clear Cut deck, which measures 42 inches wide and cuts grass efficiently. Moreover, the high-performance deck has a deep design that ensures better bagging. The lawn mower is equipped with an 18 HP Kawasaki engine that provides reliable startups as well as delivering a maximum speed of up to 6.5 MPH.
- Takes on a variety of cutting conditions
- Clippings can be mulched, discharged, or bagged
- Extremely easy to operate
- Does not come with a mulching kit/bagger attachment
4. Husqvarna MZ61 61 in. 27 HP Zero Turn Riding Mower
One priceless feature of this zero-turn riding mower is the hour meter with service reminder. The feature indicates when it is time to service your lawn mower. Another great feature is the individual, hydraulic wheel-drive that offers very precise maneuvering as well as allowing the lawn mower to rotate around its own axis. The mower does not require any turning radius to rotate, and this makes it very convenient to operate. Besides, this mower comes with a 9 bushel triple bag collection system, which increases versatility and productivity.
- The price is good
- Cuts grass faster than expected
- The deck height pedal is a plus
- The crate takes a little time and effort to disassemble, but it offers great protection during shipping.
3. Greenworks 25322 16-Inch 40V Cordless Lawn Mower
We bet no one likes the noise or vibration lawn mowers produce when they are working. That’s why we are happy to introduce you to this residential zero turn mower from Greenworks. It makes 50-percent less noise and vibration compared to gas mowers. Furthermore, it is packed with great features, including a 6-inch front wheel and a 7-inch rear wheel for effortless maneuvering throughout the yard. It also has a 2-in-1 function that offers mulching capability and rear bagging for ultimate convenience.
- The motor has plenty of power
- The handle folds down and locks for convenience
- Comes with a 4.0AH battery
- The battery life could be better
2. John Deere ZTrak Zero Turn Rider Z355E 48 in Deck
It is almost an understatement to say that John Deere makes top-notch products. That being said, their residential zero turn mower works really great at getting the grass cut and keeping the yard clean. The mower has a high-functioning 48-inch deck that is equipped with a 22 HP V-Twin engine, which combines great quality, comfort, and performance to deliver unrivaled mowing results. What’s more, this mower is built with versatility in mind, and, therefore, it is great for mulching, rear bagging, and side discharge.
- Comes with a warranty
- The steel frame is heavy duty for long-lasting performance
- The deck is wide enough
- None so far
1. Mowox MNA152613 Zero-Turn Radius Mower
Mowox has equipped this residential zero turn mower with instart technology. The technology combines Li-ion electric starting with the gas power to make the push button easy to operate every time. Another feature that makes this mower one of the best is the fact that the front wheels can turn 360 degrees for improved handling. The front wheels also lock in place to provide straight cuts. Additionally, the lawn mower has a single lever 6-stage height adjustment lever that will let you adjust the deck height easily to quickly customize the mowing height.
- The push button makes the mower easy to start
- The zero-turn radius feature works well
- Easy to assemble and to use
- The assembly directions could be better
Mowing grass is hard, and you know it. But with a residential zero-turn mower, that is bound to change. These machines turn a tedious chore into a fun, exciting riding experience. By so doing, they allow you to mow a large area without any issues. They maneuver easily and get the job done in no time.