A portable evaporative cooler is a perfect unit for those who live in tropical countries. It is also great during summer when humidity levels tend to be below the optimum level. Nevertheless, not all of these units work the same.
Therefore, to enjoy the benefits of yours to the fullest, it is recommended that you only settle for a top-notch brand. The best portable evaporative coolers make a great alternative to desk fans and even ceiling fans.
They work by blowing hot air away, thereby, providing the much-needed coolness. By so doing, these units create a comfortable environment during an otherwise hot sunny day when the air around tends to be overly dry.
Besides, quality portable evaporative coolers are equipped with wheels that make them easy to move from room to room. This means whether you want to keep your living room, bedroom, home office or lounging area cool, they are the go-to products.
What’s more, most of these portable evaporative coolers do not take up much space. They are compact and have a small footprint, which enables them to fit in even the tightest spaces. In this piece, we have reviewed the best brands to help you settle for what will effectively meet your needs.
- 11. SPT Portable Evaporative Air Cooler (SF-608RA)
- 10. FRIGIDAIRE EC100WF Fan Cooler and Humidifier
- 9. SPT Evaporative Air Cooler with 3D Cooling Pad
- 8. Luma Comfort 1650 CFW Evaporative Cooler (EC220W)
- 7. Honeywell Portable Evaporative Cooler with Fan & Humidifier
- 6. Honeywell Portable Evaporative Cooler
- 5. Honeywell Portable Evaporative Cooler, Fan & Humidifier (470-659CFM)
- 4. Honeywell 500-694CFM Evaporative Cooler, Fan & Humidifier
- 3. Hessaire Portable Evaporative Cooler for 750 sq. ft. (MC37M)
- 2. NewAir AF-310 Portable Evaporative Air Fan and Humidifier
- 1. COSTWAY 24.5” Portable Evaporative Air Cooler with Fan & Humidifier
11. SPT Portable Evaporative Air Cooler (SF-608RA)
Spending money on a versatile and economical product has always been a good idea. That’s why we are very happy to review this portable evaporative air cooler.
It rolls easily from room to room, meaning you can use it in your living room or home office. Besides, this evaporative air cooler is incredibly compact, as it measures just 12 by 16 by 25 inches. This means it will not take up much space.
Plus it comes with a 1-year warranty, which protects against defects in workmanship and material. The unit also features oscillating louvers that offer even distribution. Moreover, it has a 10-liter water tank that enables it to work longer.
- The price is great
- Remarkably easy to get out of the packaging
- Makes a great purchase during summer
- Looks nice and works quietly
- The remote function works very well
- Changing water is a bit of a hassle
10. FRIGIDAIRE EC100WF Fan Cooler and Humidifier
This is another versatile unit you should consider. It is a 2-in-1 compact evaporative cooler and tower fan that will serve you well. It provides 2 ways to cool your personal space and keep you comfortable during the hot summer weather.
Its fan is powerful and offers up to 100 sq. ft. of cooling coverage. This means the unit is perfect for many differently sized rooms. Furthermore, this portable evaporative cooler has a washable and removable honeycomb pad, which purifies the air while it cools.
The 4-setting timer, 3 cooling modes, and 3 fan speeds combine to form a list of handy features. This unit works great; hence, we are certain it will let you enjoy cool breezes.
- Small enough to fit smaller areas
- Comes with remote control for quick and easy operation
- Does a great job of cooling down spaces at home or office
- The beep when you push any button or use the remote control is pretty loud
9. SPT Evaporative Air Cooler with 3D Cooling Pad
Like other top-notch portable evaporative coolers, the SPT Evaporative Air Cooler comes with a remote control that will let you operate it from any corner of the room.
Moreover, the air cooler has a unique cooling pad that takes cooling performance to a whole new level. The cooling pad is able to deliver high performance and retain its structural strength because it is made of cellulose paper as well as packed with unique ingredients.
In addition, this unit is treated with special stiffening as well as wetting agents to absorb and retain water to the fullest. It also has an Anti-Rot chemical that prevents algae and bacterial growth.
- Worth the money, and it has nice features
- Portable and easy to use
- Looks nice and fits into any décor
- Perfect for small spaces
- Great for those looking for cool air without venting
- The fan is fairly loud on a high setting
8. Luma Comfort 1650 CFW Evaporative Cooler (EC220W)
The Luma Comfort is probably the highest priced evaporative cooler in these reviews. But we do not think this will really be a concern after you have experienced its performance.
It is a reliable unit that’s perfect for hot and dry climates, or any place with low air humidity. It is a 3-in-1 unit in the sense that you can use it as a humidifier, tower fan or air cooler. The best part is that this unit works quietly.
This means you can use it even when the baby is sleeping. It has 3 cooling speeds and wind modes that blow a fresh, cool breeze to keep even the hottest places cool and comfortable.
- Powerful and cools very quickly on high
- The wheels improve portability
- Air can oscillate or go in one direction
- Easy to use; no setup required – just add water
- Takes up a decent amount of space in small/medium sized rooms
7. Honeywell Portable Evaporative Cooler with Fan & Humidifier
You will get a lot of accessories when you buy this portable evaporative cooler. Some of these accessories include remote control, energy-saving timer, carbon dust air filter, and Honeywell Honeycomb Cooling Pad.
Another cool thing about this evaporative cooler is low power consumption. At the highest speed, the evaporative cooler consumes just 32 watts, which is way below what most portable evaporative coolers consume.
Besides, this ultra-versatile unit has patented brushless motor technology, which offers 5 speeds not to mention playing a great role in saving energy. The air cooler works by reducing temperature through evaporation. It performs best in hot and dry climates where levels of humidity are likely to be less than 50-percent.
- The unit has wheels for moving it around
- Takes up very little space
- Cools the room evenly with the rotating vents
- Should not be left in a totally closed room, lest it will get very humid
6. Honeywell Portable Evaporative Cooler
Honeywell is a top dog when it comes to manufacturing top-ranked units like this portable evaporative cooler. Having said that, expect the air cooler to do a wonderful job of keeping your room incredibly cool.
It performs best in hot and dry climates where the levels of humidity may be below 50-percent. What’s more, this evaporative cooler is designed with convenience in mind. It has a detachable tank for easy cleaning and refilling.
It is also designed to consume super low power and make sure that keeping your room cool does not come at a cost. Plus this unit comes with a remote control, carbon dust filter, and low water alarm.
- The air cooler has wheels for optimum portability
- Easy to install and fill
- Control options are very easy to use
- Lightweight and comes with remote control
- Will not raise the electricity bill
- The price is reasonable
- The fan is pretty loud
5. Honeywell Portable Evaporative Cooler, Fan & Humidifier (470-659CFM)
If you have a small to medium-sized room and you live in a hot/dry region, this unit is for you. It is an energy-efficient model designed to keep your living space cool during hot days.
It has 3 settings, which regulate the density of evaporative moisture, thereby, ensuring optimal humidity levels for your space. Moreover, this unit has an exciting feature, which is not there in other units.
This is the built-in storage that eliminates bothersome misplacements. Plus it is equipped with a washable active carbon filter that traps pollutants, dust, and odors. It also has a set it & forget it timer, which is programmable for up to 7-1/2 hours with auto-off feature.
- Great for a small space
- The price is reasonable
- Honeywell stands with their products
- Does what it states that it does
- The water tank is a little difficult to clean
4. Honeywell 500-694CFM Evaporative Cooler, Fan & Humidifier
A portable evaporative cooler is likely to make your electricity bill skyrocket. Nonetheless, we are glad to let you know that the same cannot be said about the Honeywell 500-694CFM model.
It boasts super low power consumption; hence, it will give you peace of mind knowing that you will not have to pay your electricity bill through the nose. Furthermore, it comes with lots of accessories such as low water alarm, adjustable humidification dial, ice compartment, energy-saving timer, remote control, and carbon dust air filter.
These features work together to make the portable evaporative cooler very convenient to operate. The cooler works best in hot and dry regions where humidity levels are less than 60-percent.
- The airflow covers a large room
- The wheels make the cooler much easier to move
- The tank holds just enough water to last the whole evening
- The fan is a bit noisy
3. Hessaire Portable Evaporative Cooler for 750 sq. ft. (MC37M)
Hessaire is a reputable company that offers portable cooling solutions. One of their products is the MC37M Portable Evaporative Cooler that keeps rooms up to 750 square feet cool.
It is designed with heavy-duty casters, which make it extremely easy to move from room to room. It also has a high-velocity axial fan blade that does a good job of moving air.
Another thoughtful feature is the Xel50 cooling pad that extends the life of the air cooler as well as offering maximum cooling performance. This model is molded with a polypropylene resin, meaning it has a strong yet lightweight design.
- Will keep you comfortable in a hot environment
- Easy to set up and the price is right
- Simple and easy to use
- Customer service is excellent
- The caster wheels are rubberized and not made of hard plastic like in most units
- It is a bit noisy, though it works great
2. NewAir AF-310 Portable Evaporative Air Fan and Humidifier
You will enjoy two great appliances for the price of one if you buy this unit. It can be used as a swamp cooler to add moisture to dry air in order to cool it down. It can also be used as a tower fan on humid days.
It has a slim and compact footprint that enables it to take up just one sq. ft. of floor space. That being said, this portable evaporative air fan and humidifier can fit even in the smallest rooms.
Additionally, the air fan & humidifier has 3 cooling modes, a convenient timer, and 3 fan speeds. All these features will allow you to customize the performance of this unit to enjoy personalized comfort.
- Great for those who live in a dry climate
- The slim design is well thought out
- Works fairly quiet and is easy to set up
- Instructions could be clearer
1. COSTWAY 24.5” Portable Evaporative Air Cooler with Fan & Humidifier
This is another effective portable evaporative cooler. It has a 6-liter large-capacity water tank that will spare you the hassle of having to add water every now and then.
It also has an 8-hour timer function that enables it to stop automatically. This will give you peace of mind knowing that you do not have to monitor it.
Ideally, this unit works by adopting ice crystal refrigeration and humidifying technology to minimize the temperature from the air vent as well as to raise relative humidity. By so doing, it prevents air drying, and this, in turn, will keep you extremely comfortable.
- Easy to use and works quietly
- The swing function is a great feature
- Customer service is outstanding
- Cools everything down pretty fast
- The filter is washable
- Great for the price
- Comes with an ice pack
- Instructions could be better
Portable evaporative coolers are a must-have for those who live in tropical regions. They come in handy to raise humidity up to optimum levels. However, there are several brands of portable evaporative coolers, and this can make it quite difficult to get what you want. So, to help you out, we have researched and reviewed those brands we believe are highly functional.