As a barbeque enthusiast who cares about healthy living, consider investing in the best lump charcoal for smoking. Although expensive, lump charcoals are 100% pure and safe since they are made from natural trees with no fillers, chemicals or additives. They are very convenient given that they light quickly, burn hotter for longer with less ash.At the same time, lump charcoal emits less smoke and gives food rich flavors every time.
With the quest for natural lump charcoal rising day in day out, it can be very difficult to find true lump charcoal with pure ingredients. Luckily, we have researched and reviewed the best lump charcoals on the market right now to bring you the following top 10 best reviews in 2021 to ease your search. Read on to find out more.
- 1. Fogo Lump Charcoal, 17.6-pound Bag
- 2. Jealous Devil Lump Charcoal – 35LB
- 3. KamadoJoe KJCHAR KJ-CHARBOX Lump Charcoal
- 4. Fogo Carbon de Lena Charcoal, 8.8lb Bag
- 5. BIG Green Egg CP lump charcoal, 20-pound bag
- 6. Royal Oak 195228021 Lump Charcoal, 15.4 lb
- 7. Rockwood Lump Charcoal
- 8. Checkmate Eco Charcoal Hardwood Lump, 20-Pound Bag
- 9. Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal, 20 lbs (2)
- 10. Bayou Classic Lump Charcoal, 18-lbs Bag
- Buyer’s Guide for the Best Lump Charcoals for Smoking
1. Fogo Lump Charcoal, 17.6-pound Bag
Featuring hand-selected large chunks of hardwood, the Fogo Lump Charcoal lights quickly and lasts longer. Thus, it burns really hot, locking in the flavors for restaurant-quality meals each time. This lump charcoal is made of dense hardwood trimmings from selected trees to ensure it is high-quality and all natural with no additional ingredients whatsoever.
As a result, it is great for cooking directly on coals, low and slow cooking. This lump charcoal has been produced in cooperation with government organizations to reassure you that it is a sustainable product. Moreover, it comes in two sizes at various prices to suit people of various needs and budgets.
- This charcoal comes in larger that fist sizes
- It burns at a high temperature and gives off a nice smoky flavor
- The price is very competitive compared to local stores
- There are very few stones in the charcoal bag
- This lump charcoal takes a bit longer to get to high temperature
2. Jealous Devil Lump Charcoal – 35LB
Consider the Jealous Devil Lump Charcoal for the best lump that gives the most consistent and longer lasting burn. It consists of all-natural hardwood to give you clean fuel free of smoke, sparks, with an extremely low-ash. This lump charcoal lights up with optimum temperature, making it ideal for that searing meat or grilling your favorite steak.
It pairs perfectly with charcoal grills, kamados, and smokers to give you endless possibilities. The charcoal lump comes packed in a more durable, heavy-duty paper bag so it arrives safely in large sizes. It burns so pure with no popping or sparking to ensure it is safe to use with your kids around. Besides, this charcoal lump burns slowly but sure to enable you to use 25% to 30% less charcoal with the same amount of heat.
- This charcoal has the best size, heat, density, and longevity
- It smells nice with no overpowering aroma
- The bag contains several pieces of large chunks of lump
- May come with a few packaging defects; however, this does not compromise performance
3. KamadoJoe KJCHAR KJ-CHARBOX Lump Charcoal
For charcoal that burns longer, better, and cleaner, the KamadoJoe KJCHAR KJ-CHARBOX Lump Charcoal is your go-to product. It is developed from an exclusive blend of three dense hardwoods to give you the finest lump charcoal with better smoke and flavor. Unlike typical smaller lumps that only burn for 8 to 10 hours, this lump charcoal is heavy to burn for up to 18 hours.
As if that’s not enough, it can be reused up to 3 times, giving you great value for money in every purchase. When used in conjunction with a ceramic grill which insulates well, this charcoal burns slowly with high heat to cook proper meals.
- This lump charcoal lights up quickly
- It burns hot and produces good results every time
- This lump charcoal works great for grilling
- Gives a robust wood-fire flavor
- May come with lots of dust from broken pieces
4. Fogo Carbon de Lena Charcoal, 8.8lb Bag
The Fogo Carbon de Lena Charcoal is perfectly sized for BBQ, smoker, as well as Barrel grill. It is made from dense hardwood trimmings using selected trees with no additional ingredients. Hence, this charcoal is high-quality and all-natural to impart your food with the very best flavor and taste.
It lights very quickly and gets ready for use within 15 minutes and Lasts longer than most charcoals you can find around. As such, this charcoal is great for low and slow cooks, cooking directly or indirectly on coals. Besides, it burns with little to no sparks, ensuring restaurant quality charcoal cooking experience.
- This charcoal lump is perfect for roasting pigs and searing meat
- It has a variety of lump sizes in the bag
- The charcoal produces great smoky aroma and makes everything taste great
- It stays hot longer and cooks everything evenly
- The price is a bit pricey; however, the charcoal works well
5. BIG Green Egg CP lump charcoal, 20-pound bag
Compared to other charcoals on the market, the BIG Green Egg CP lump charcoal is made of premium carbonized wood with no additives. It is very easy to light and takes about 10 minutes to get ready for cooking. This charcoal lump burns hotter and efficiently with more BTUs than ordinary charcoal you find at your nearest store.
It comes in reasonable sizes, delivering more value for money in every purchase. This charcoal has no chemicals or petroleum products, ensuring tasty foods with no harsh chemical odors. In addition, it can burn for a long time; hence, it is one of the favorites for slow cooking.
- This charcoal is suitable for low and slow cooking
- It contains pure natural hardwood
- This charcoal is high-quality and environment friendly
- The lump charcoal is a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for
6. Royal Oak 195228021 Lump Charcoal, 15.4 lb
Made from renewable oak, maple, walnut, and hickory, the Royal Oak 195228021 Lump Charcoal is 100% natural. It works great for all grills and smokers including ceramic and kamado grills.
This charcoal lights quickly and burns hotter to sear meat beautifully, locking in the juicy flavors while producing a great smoky taste. It comes in a variety of sizes at various prices so you can find the package that suits your needs and budget. This charcoal gets ready for cooking in 15 minutes to eliminate the need to wait for several minutes.
- This charcoal lump is nice and comes in fairly consistent sizes
- It works for grilling, high heat pizzas as well as cold smoking
- The charcoal burns well and gives rich flavors every time
- It produces very reasonable ash
- Some people have complained of finding a few large rocks in the bag; however, the charcoal is of good quality
7. Rockwood Lump Charcoal
Crafted to work with less ash, the Rockwood Lump Charcoal allows for easy and quick cleanup. It is made from 100% Missouri hardwoods; mainly oak and hickory with maple and pecan. Thus, this charcoal lump is 100% all natural with no fillers, binders, or chemical additives.
It works great in a variety of grills and smokers, most especially kamado style cookers. This charcoal has rich natural wood aroma that complements the natural flavors of fish, meat and poultry. That is why it is the favorite brand for professional chefs and top-ranked BBQ competition teams. In addition, this charcoal burns red hot sealing in juices for bolder flavorful meals.
- This charcoal is available in 3 different packages to choose from
- It produces nice heat with very little sparking
- The charcoal burns slowly and consistently with low ash
- The bad smoke disappears within 10 minutes
- May come with small pieces at the bottom due to shipping; it works well though
8. Checkmate Eco Charcoal Hardwood Lump, 20-Pound Bag
Take your grilling skills a notch or two by investing in the Checkmate Eco Charcoal Hardwood Lump. It is made of 100% natural hardwood to give you the best performance with no harsh chemical odors. This charcoal is easy to light, ensuring you do not waste a lot of time trying to create fire so you can spend more time making your delicious smoky meals.
It generates high heat and burns long enough to give you great value for money. This lump charcoal works on most grills and smokers, making it popular among BBQ lovers and restaurants. What’s more, it arrives in nice chunks with no powder or tiny pieces in the bag.
- This charcoal burns well with minimal ash
- It is a good lump charcoal for the price
- This charcoal makes everything tastes better
- It gets ready for cooking within 15 minutes
- May come with shipping defects, otherwise nice charcoal
9. Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal, 20 lbs (2)
The Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal provides users with an authentic smoky flavor with no harsh odors. It is crafted from natural hardwood that gives BBQ enthusiasts charcoal that lights easily and quick for utmost convenience.Thus, this charcoal is ideal for smoking fish, poultry, and meat depending on your needs.
It works with most smokers and grills to give you maximum cooking versatility. This lump charcoal comes in sizeable chunks that burns hotter and longer for better cooking results every time. At the same time, it emits less ash and smokes so you can use with confidence.
- This lump charcoal can burn for 7 to 8 hours
- It comes at an affordable price point
- The charcoals is available in 2 various sizes to choose from based on your needs and budget
- It has potential sparks which can be dangerous, so use with care
Check also: Best Camera Drones Under 200
10. Bayou Classic Lump Charcoal, 18-lbs Bag
Enjoy natural grilling flavor with the Bayou Classic Lump Charcoal. It is made from 100% high-density hardwood to deliver superior smoking experience. This charcoal lights faster, burns hotter and lasts longer than ordinary charcoals. It has no chemical additives or fillers to ensure natural grilling flavor each time.
This charcoal produces a clean burn with less ash to allow for easy cleaning. And it is compatible with most grills and smokers, giving you optimum versatility. This charcoal burns with less sparks, making it safe for almost everybody to use. Besides, it is made from totally renewable wood, so you can rest easy knowing you are buying a sustainable product.
- This charcoal burns well and puts off great heat
- It imparts tremendous flavors in meat, fish or poultry
- Cooks slow but sure for juicy meals
- The lumps break up easily; hence, you may end up with several small pieces
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Lump Charcoals for Smoking
There are several things that determine the best lump charcoal, but we have narrowed them to three factors. Have a look.
Although lump charcoals are generally expensive due to the convenience they bring, make sure the price is within your budget. It is, therefore, advisable that you compare the price range of various lump charcoals to find one that will not drain your pocket. Besides, you don’t want to spend too much on lump charcoal just to later realize it is not worth the price.
The chunks in lump charcoal bags vary from one manufacturer to another. In this case, the chunks can be small, medium or large. If you want quick burning charcoal consider one that comes in small and medium chunks. On the other, if you want longer-lasting heat you should consider lump charcoal with larger chunks. Large chunks may take time to light up but the heat they provide is worth waiting for.
Lump charcoals are generally made from pure wood with no additives or chemicals. But then, you still need to check the ingredients used in the making process to end up with the best lump charcoal. Hence, consider lump charcoals made from oak, maple, and hickory since these trees make the best charcoal that light quickly and longer. Also, you should look at the package label to ensure it is 100% natural.
To get the best grilled food rich in smoky flavor, you need the best lump charcoal among your BBQ tools. While it is not easy to find the best lump charcoal, we have done all it takes to make it simpler and less time-consuming as never before. That is why we urge you to go through our reviews in order to take home the best lump charcoal for smoking.