There’s nothing fancy about fat separators. In fact, they are one of the most overlooked kitchen tools. After all, who wants to think much about fat? But we say, fat separators are important, and, therefore, should not miss from any kitchen.
Imagine a busy Thanksgiving Day where everyone is bustling in the kitchen to get ready for the event; you will not have time to pop the turkey stock in the refrigerator and wait patiently for the fat to solidly, right? It is during such situations when the best fat separators come in handy.
These innovative kitchen tools work on a scientific concept that fats and liquids do not mix. When you try to mix them, the fats will float after just a few minutes. Fat separators take advantage of this concept by having a bottom release feature that allows you to get flavorful liquid, which does not have too much fat.
Top quality brands have strainer tops that filter out aromatics such as chopped onions, peppercorns or carrots. Those brands are in these reviews. Therefore, keep on reading to find a suitable unit that meets your needs and is within your budget.
10. Vondior Best Fat Separator with bottom release (4 Cups)
You should be eating healthy meals every day. That’s why the Vondior Fat Separator is a must-have. It is the go-to unit when you want to make healthier gravies, sauces, and soup quickly and easily.
It comes in a complete set to make sure you do not experience any inconvenience. It is a 4-cup container that comes with a 3-in-1 peeler and instructions. Ideally, the fat separator comes in a gift box, and this makes it an excellent gift for moms, grandmas or anyone who loves cooking.
- Works great and is easy to clean
- Saves time during food preparation
- The delivery is quick
- The build quality could be better
9. OXO 4-Cup Fat Separator
If you want to quickly separate the undesired fat from flavorful juices, one of the units you should consider is this 4-cup fat separator from OXO. It is dishwasher-safe, and this means cleaning it after use is a cakewalk.
Moreover, it boasts a comfortable non-slip handle, so you can enjoy using it to the maximum. This fat separator will not mess up your counter. And that’s because of the tapered lip on the spout, which minimizes drips.
- Handles very hot liquid nicely
- The rubber stopper keeps the fat from clogging the spout
- Easy to use and has a great size
- Dishwasher seems unable to clean the spout, but you can use a brush to get it clean
8. Cuisipro 4 Cup Fat Separator
You are buying a fat separator because you want a healthier lifestyle. That being said, it makes no sense to buy a fat separator that is made of materials with toxic substances.
Well, that’s where the Cuisipro 4 Cup Fat Separator comes in handy. It is BPA-free, and this means it is very safe to use. Besides, this fat separator has a high-performance filter, which ensures that you only get the best parts of the drippings.
- Makes gravy making easier
- Saves time and promotes convenience
- Has an ergonomic thumb release
- Does not leak and the construction seems solid
- Works great with smooth liquids
- A little hard to clean
7. Trudeau Gravy/Fat Separator (0991105)
This separator measures 10-1/4” by 5-3/8” and stands 5” high. It is dishwasher-safe; hence, cleaning it after use should not be a daunting task. Furthermore, the fat separator comes with a 5-year warranty that protects against defects in materials and workmanship.
It has a pitcher, which works great and can resist heat up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Plus the pitcher is microwave-safe for convenience. It also has a strainer, which fits into the gravy separator pitcher to filter fat and debris as gravy moves from pan to separator.
- The strainer lid is very useful
- Very stable for worry-free use
- Appears to be of great quality
- Takes up too much room in the cabinet
6. Swing-A-Way 4-Cup Fat/Gravy Separator
Because of the job they do, fat separators are normally difficult to clean. However, we are pleased to note that the Swing-A-Way 4-Cup Fat/Gravy Separator is not one of the most difficult-to-clean units.
The fact that it is dishwasher-safe means you will have an easy time getting it clean. What’s more, the fat separator is large enough to store 4 cups or 32 ounces. The fat separator also features a spring-loaded bottom opening that allows for effortless release of grease-free liquids.
- The handle gives smooth control
- Great value for the money
- Offers an easy way to get rid of fat
- The strainer prevents the drain hole from getting clogged by food particles
- Durability leaves a lot to be desired
5. Catamount No-Spill Gravy/Fat Separator
Given how durable this gravy/fat separator is, expect it to last for a very long time. It is dishwasher-safe, oven/stovetop-safe, flameproof, freezer-safe, and microwavable. It is made of borosilicate glass, and it boasts a heat resistance of up to 675 degrees Fahrenheit.
Furthermore, this fat separator is clearly marked using ounces, millimeters, and cups to let you get accurate readings every time. It comes with a removable strainer, which eliminates the need for a separator sieve.
- Great for making gravy
- Made of glass; hence, easy to clean
- Arrives very well packaged
- The spout pour works great
- It takes an enormous amount of cabinet space to protect the handle and spout from being damaged
4. Bellemain 4-Cup Fat Separator/Measuring Cup
You need the right tools to make the most delicious gravy. And one you should definitely consider is the Bellemain 4-Cup Fat Separator. Bellemain has designed it because it knows that one thing gravy does not have is a load of grease or fat.
It is a high-top fat separator designed to help you make delicious gravy every time. It has a slip-resistant handle for easy use and a catching strainer at the top to make pouring your drippings much easier than ever before.
- The strainer is a bonus
- The design is top notch
- The capacity is large enough
- Easy to use and works as expected
- Cleaning the fat separator is quite difficult
3. JGS Gravy Fat Separator with Bottom Release
The JGS Gravy Fat Separator comes with a mesh ball tea infuser to make sure you have a complete package for healthier gravies, soups or sauces. Moreover, it is backed by a 1-year money-back guarantee, which protects against the unfortunate to ensure hassle-free buying.
The material used to make this fat separator is BPA-free plastic for peace of mind. Also, there is a leak-free silicone plug to prevent drippings and messes. The materials are of top quality, making this fat separator a reliable unit for making gravy.
- Easy to clean and works great
- The size is perfect
- Has an easy-to-clean spout
- The strainer could have much smaller holes
2. OXO 4-Cup Good Gravy Fat Separator
Using the OXO 4-Cup Gravy Fat Separator is easy breezy. That’s because it has a built-in trigger on the handle. Well, all you need to do is to squeeze the aforesaid built-in trigger and cooking oil will be released from the bottom and fat will be left behind.
Additionally, the fat separator has a silicone shut-off valve, which seals snugly, thereby, preventing leaks. It also has an external drain that makes cleanup quick and easy.
- Easy and fun to use
- Handy for those who make lots of gravies and sauces
- Keeps the working space cleaner
- The handle has an amazing grip
- Cleaning the fat separator is a bit tedious
1. Norpro 3 Cup Gravy Fat Separator
Norpro knows that the main reason why you are looking for a fat separator is convenience. As such, it has designed this fat separator with convenience in mind. The unit boasts a dripless spout, which provides you with a clean environment to make gravies.
The fat separator works by allowing fat to rise to the top, thereby, making it easy to pour out the desired juice. It holds 4 cups (1 liter), and its measurements are in metric and standard.
- Very accurate and works great
- Perfect for those working in restaurants
- The drainer lid is a plus
- Makes work easier in the kitchen
- The plastic is likely to weaken over time, but, given the price, this should not be a concern
If you always make lots of sauces and gravies, fat separators are worth spending money on. These units ensure healthier cooking by providing you with a much easier way to obtain flavorful liquids. The best ones have strainers and are ergonomically designed not to mention being incredibly easy to clean.