Say you’re driving your usual commute, and you begin to notice that the wheel is pulling a little far to the left or right, plus you’re hearing some odd noises. Chances are, you need your bearing checked. If you need to separate a ball joint from a spindle arm, then the only tool that will do this is the ball joint separator. To learn more about ball joint separators, stay right here, and read our review of the best ball joint separator tools of 2019.
To put it simply, ball joints are bearings that are shaped like a ball, hence their name. They are found in most cars and trucks, and function to connect a control arm to a steering knuckle or spindle, and affect steering and suspension. Another tool you will come across in our review, is the pickle fork. Pickle forks are used as ball joint separators as well, but they are usually created from one piece of tough metal, in order to endure the abuse of pounding and hammering when it comes to unseating a ball joint.
- 10. OTC 6297 Ball Joint Separator
- 9. GearWrench 3916D Universal Ball Joint Separator
- 8. GearWrench 41690 Front End Service Set
- 7. ABN Ball Joint Press Kit
- 6. Astro 7897 Ball Joint Service Tool Kit and Master Adapter Set
- 5. OEMTOOLS 27308 Ball Joint Separator
- 4. OTC 7249 Ball Joint, U-Joint and Brake Anchor Pin Service Kit
- 3. OTC 6295 Front End Service Set
- 2. Astro 78807 5-Piece Pickle Fork Ball Joint Separator Set
- 1. OrionMotorTech Universal Ball Joint Service Kit
10. OTC 6297 Ball Joint Separator
For those of you who know the frustration of having to deal with a stubborn ball joint that will simply not separate, The the OTC’s 6297 Ball Joint Separator should work quite well. Depending on your vehicle make and model, the OTC ball joint separator can help, and works on various import and domestic vehicles. The fit is perfect, and it adjusts up to 2 inches, depending on the type of ball joint you have, and will make removal a snap!
- Adjustable up to 2 inches
- Works on most foreign and domestic models
- Easy to operate quick results
9. GearWrench 3916D Universal Ball Joint Separator
When it comes to separating your ball joint from the supporting spindle arm, it can’t get more easier than the GearWrench 3916D Universal Ball Joint Separator. After just one application, you’ll quickly find that this tool is well made, and disengages the ball joint quickly. This model is adjustable to 1-1/8 and 2-1/8 inches, and works on most domestic and import models.
- Adjustable to 1-1/8 and 2-1/8 nches
- Works on most foreign and domestic models
- Durable and easy to operate
8. GearWrench 41690 Front End Service Set
The GearWrench 41690 Front End Service Set is manufactured by Danaher Took Group. This service set works on most pitman arms, ball joints and tie rods, using a pitman arm puller (22 x 140mm), a univeral fit ball joint separator 3917, and a tie rod puller #3533. It also comes with a tie rid end puller, and Universal fit tie rod end remover. This is a good quality front end service set, and will perform the duties it’s meant to quickly and easily. All of the aforementioned tools come to you in a handy, durable case.
- Tools come organized in a reusable, durable case
- Excellent quality, long lasting tools
- Do their duty with speed and efficiency
7. ABN Ball Joint Press Kit
In order to do the task correctly, you need to have a complete kit, one that can handle whatever you throw at it. That describes the ABN Ball Joint Press Kit to a ‘T’. This kit comes with everything you’ll need to deal with the ball joints on your car or truck. You’ll soon realize that ball joints, brake anchor pins, U joints will be quickly and efficiently dealt with. Made from high quality, forged steel they come in a black oxide finish to resist rust and corrosion. Your purchase includes: A C-Frame press with forcing screw, 3 installation adapters w/cups, 3 removal adapters w/cups, 3 receiver tubes (2.75 x 3 inches, 2.25 x 2.5 inches, 1.75 x 2 inches), all in one, durable carry case.
- Made from high quality, forged steel
- Black oxide finish to resist rust
- Durable, plastic carry all case
6. Astro 7897 Ball Joint Service Tool Kit and Master Adapter Set
When you first open up Astro Pneumatic’s durable, blow mold carry all case, you’ll not only be pleased with the order and quality of your tools, but also the variety. This kit is designed to help you remove and replace your vehicles ball joints. Inside, you’ll find all the adapters and receiver tubes you’ll need to work on press fit lower and upper ball joints as well as a live, center forcing screw plug, 2030-1. This kit should service most Ford, GM, and Dodge 4WD and 2WD SUV’s, vans and trucks with a model up to 1997. With this kit, you’ll find it easy to get into small spaces as well. These tools are made from high quality, forged alloy and make the entire task of removal and installation, simple, effective and hassle free.
- Durable, blow molded carry case
- All receiver tubes and adapters necessary
- Made from a durable forged alloy
5. OEMTOOLS 27308 Ball Joint Separator
The OEMTOOLS 27308 Ball Joint Separator, works quickly and efficiently, making the task of removal effortless indeed. For those of you who are do it yourselfers, and tend to your own vehicles suspension, you’ll find that the OEMTOOLS 27308 Ball Joint Separator is durable, made from steel with black oxide pins, and designed to give you years of service. This affordable took will adjust to fit different ball joints with a maximum opening range of 1-1/8 to 2-1/8 inches, with a fork opening of 7/8 inches. The tool arrives to you in its own, tough Blow Mold case.
- Manufactured from high quality steel
- Black oxide pins help prevent corrosion
- Tough, durable blow mold case
4. OTC 7249 Ball Joint, U-Joint and Brake Anchor Pin Service Kit
The OTC 7249 Ball Joint, U-Joint and Brake Anchor Pin Service Kit kit comes with everything you’ll need to deal with most sizes of press fit ball joints. It comes with a C-frame press as well as 3 receiver tubes, an installing adapter, removing adapter, all in a durable, plastic carrying case. You’ll find that the tool is well made, and able to install ball joints very quickly. Made in the USA, so you know the quality is sound. The storage case keeps all of the components very well organized as well.
- Well built components
- Will fit most models
- Comes in a durable, plastic carry case
3. OTC 6295 Front End Service Set
Manufactured from high quality steel, the OTC Front End Service Set is one of the most trusted on the market, and for good reason. This robust, yet affordable set can easily handle your front end work with speed and efficiency. It comes with a Pitman arm puller, Tie rod end remover, outer tie rod remover, ball-joint separator, Tie rod end puller, and ball-joint separator. All 5 tools come to you in a convenient, durable plastic carry-all case.
- Constructed from high quality steel
- Handles your front end work with speed and efficiency
- All components come in a durable, plastic case
2. Astro 78807 5-Piece Pickle Fork Ball Joint Separator Set
If you are looking for a pickle fork, ball joint set that will be able to take a serious amount of abuse, this is definitely the set you should consider. The Astro 78807, 5 Piece Pickle Fork Ball Joint Separator Set gives you 5 durable pickle forks, all in different sizes. Use this set for the removal of tie rods, pitman arm, ball joints, plus other linkages. This one-piece design extends the durability of each tool, able to withstand the impact of hammering. Open sizes include: 11/16, 15/16, 1-1/16, 1-7/16 and 1-5/8 inches. As for depth: 2-3/4, 3.0, 2-7/8, 2-3/8, and 3-1/8 inches. Heavy-duty, so pound as hard as you like, whatever it takes to get the task completed.
- Handles high impact strikes amazingly well
- Comes with 5 tough pickle forks in commonly used sizes
- One piece design reduces chance of breakage during use
Check Also: Top 7 Best Trailer Coupler Locks
1. OrionMotorTech Universal Ball Joint Service Kit
OrionMotor Tech’s Universal Ball Joint Service Kit takes our number one spot in our review of the best ball joint separator tools in 2019. Constructed from solid carbon steel, and coated with an anti-corrosion finish, this durable set of finely crafted tools will assist you when it comes to the removal and replacement of Press-Fit Upper and Lower Ball Joints. This set includes: All of the receiver tubes you’ll need, as well as adapters. The forged C-Frame Press is there to help you remove/replace universal joints. All of this comes to you in a durable, blow molded case.
- Constructed from quality carbon steel
- Coated with anti-corrosion finish
- Durable, blow molded carrying case
Thank you for reading our review for the best ball joint separator tools available in 2019. When you read each review, keep in mind the make, model and year of your vehicle. We encourage you to check to see what type of ball joint separator tool will work best for you car or truck. While some do have a universal fit, it may work out for your best interests to ensure you find one that works specifically for your make, model and year. Also, decide whether you need the ball joint press or pickle fork.