Ankle injuries are among the most common injuries volleyball players sustain. There are different forms of ankle injuries, and these are ankle sprains, strains, and even broken ankles. Well, ankle injuries are no joke whenever they are sustained, as they can prevent you from playing volleyball for a long time. Some such as broken ankles can even sideline you from important games for the entire season! As they say, prevention is better than cure. And this is where the best ankle brace for volleyballs come into play.
Ankle braces are designed to keep your ankles in the right position. By so doing, they help prevent ankle sprains and strains. They work great when you jump to defend a ball. They are also important when you are recovering from an injured ankle, given that they are very comfortable and well padded. When choosing a pair of ankle braces, it is recommended that you only settle for the best. This is because a premium ankle brace can be worn with shoes. Moreover, top quality ankle braces fit well and are sturdy.
In these reviews, we take you through the best brands to make sure you have an easier time choosing what is suitable for you or your loved one.
- 10. Med Spec ASO Ankle Stabilizer
- 9. Mcdavid Ankle Brace for Ankle Sprains
- 8. Zamst A2-DX Strong Support Ankle Brace
- 7. Shock Doctor 851 Ultra Wrap Laced Ankle Brace
- 6. Ultra Ankle Brace for Injury Prevention
- 5. MEDIZED Ankle Brace Guard Protector
- 4. COMPRESSX Lace Up Ankle Brace
- 3. McDavid Ankle Brace Lace-Up w/Inserts
- 2. Z Athletics Zenith Ankle Brace for Men, Women, and Children
- 1. Zamst Ankle Brace Support Stabilizer
10. Med Spec ASO Ankle Stabilizer
This feature-laden ankle brace for volleyball is exactly what you should consider. It has stabilizing straps that form figure 8 to not only protect but also to support your ankle. The stabilizer also features a low profile that enables it to fit in any type of shoe. Plus it boasts a bilateral design that improves convenience by allowing each size to fit either the left or right foot. It is a product of a US-based company; therefore, expect it to have higher quality control standards.
- Prevents the ankles from getting moved enough to hurt
- Machine washable for easy care
- Comfortable and easy to adjust
- Great for ankle fracture recovery
- Not returnable
9. Mcdavid Ankle Brace for Ankle Sprains
You can’t go wrong with a Mcdavid ankle brace for volleyball, can you? Well, according to university research, wearing this ankle brace will make you three times less likely to sustain an ankle injury. This is because the ankle brace is designed with all the greatest features one can ever think of. It fits left or right foot and has a breathable ventilated tongue that helps improve comfort. It also has a comfortable padded lining, which reinforces closures.
- Offers compression for healing
- Light in weight and super comfortable
- Provides great protection and support to the ankle
- Can both be hand-washed and machine washed
- Takes longer than expected to lace up and put together snugly
8. Zamst A2-DX Strong Support Ankle Brace
Despite the higher price tag than most ankle braces for volleyballs, the Zamst A2-DX Strong Support Ankle Brace is stilled preferred by many. It is available in two colors (black and white) to choose from, meaning getting the color you prefer will not be a headache. It also comes in several sizes, including Small – Left, Small- Right, Medium – Left, Medium – Right, Large – Left, Large – Right, XL – Left, and XL – Right. These numerous size options will let you easily find an ankle brace that fits you perfectly.
- Provides good stability for the ankle
- Perfect for basketball players
- Great for long recovery processes
- Not the most comfortable
7. Shock Doctor 851 Ultra Wrap Laced Ankle Brace
What’s so unique about the Shock Doctor 851 Laced Ankle Brace is the anatomical and low profile fit that will compress and stabilize your ankle while offering a therapeutic warmth and healing throughout your joint. It is a top performing ankle brace that offers both lateral and medial support without taping. It comes in 4 different sizes, including medium, x-large, large, and small. Because of how it works, the ankle brace is great for ligament sprains, unstable joints, and muscle strains.
- Super light yet heavy duty
- The lacing allows for customization
- Holds the foot in the correct position
- It is washable and has excellent support
- A bit cumbersome to put on and take off
6. Ultra Ankle Brace for Injury Prevention
Most ankle braces for volleyballs are a pain to put on and take off. But this is not the case with the Ultra Ankle Brace for Injury Prevention. To put it on, simply tighten the top strap and then secure the bottom strap. While securing the bottom strap, ensure that both ends adhere to the pad and do not overlap each other. Furthermore, this ankle brace for volleyballs boasts a hinged design that offers a natural range of motion needed for vertical power and explosive jumps.
- Holds up very well
- The Velcro does not feel too loose or too tight
- Keeps ankles in the correct position
- Too small for high arches
5. MEDIZED Ankle Brace Guard Protector
Having this ankle brace for volleyballs will provide you with lots of benefits. For example, it helps prevent ankle distortion and injuries. It also provides effective treatment and amazing support for post ankle injuries. The guard protector is great for use during sporting activities, which make the ankle moves a lot. It has two straps, which form figure 8 in order to protect and support your ankle. Besides, it fits comfortably into normal athletic or street shoe.
- Very secure and comfortable
- Arrives in a timely manner
- Its stabilization is good
- The sizing information is correct
- The price is competitive
- Does not come with directions/instructions
4. COMPRESSX Lace Up Ankle Brace
This ankle brace works by applying even pressure across the ankle joint. It comes equipped with stabilizer bars that keep the ankle joint in place. It is super versatile, and, therefore, works great for people with plantar fasciitis, swelling on the ankle or having other ankle pains. It comes in 3 different sizes to make sure everyone finds one that fits them perfectly. Moreover, this ankle brace has adjustable laces that can be made tighter through the lace hooks.
- Works great for the recovery of a broken ankle
- The added support is a nice touch
- Fits well in the shoe
- Can be worn around the house
- Could be much easier to put on
3. McDavid Ankle Brace Lace-Up w/Inserts
One thing that’s really great about this ankle brace for volleyballs is that it fits right or left. Also, we like the fact that the ankle brace lace-up comes equipped with a ventilated tongue that helps add comfort. Plus it features spring steel that stays to help provide serious support. It is light in weight, but this does not in any way make it flimsy. Having said that, expect it to always be there to serve you. Furthermore, this ankle brace comes with removable medical inserts to provide extra protection.
- Available in two color options
- Fits nicely in the shoes
- Works great at stabilizing the ankle
- A bit arduous to get into and out of
2. Z Athletics Zenith Ankle Brace for Men, Women, and Children
Ankle pain should not weigh you down. Not when there is the Z Athletics Ankle Brace for Volleyballs. It gets rid of or greatly reduces ankle pain in just a matter of one month. It works by offering superior ankle support against strains, sprains, and arthritic pain. Besides, this ankle brace is great for healing and preventing sporting injuries and other unexpected acute injuries. It comes with a 100-percent money-back guarantee to ensure worry-free buying.
- Makes the bones and the ankles feel secure
- The straps that wrap around the ankle brace are a huge bonus
- Seems to eliminate pain
- Tends to come with no laces, but the manufacturer is really helpful in solving issues
1. Zamst Ankle Brace Support Stabilizer
The premium materials used to make this ankle brace support stabilizer provide consistency and reliability. They help make the brace support stabilizer one of the best. In addition, this support stabilizer has the manufacturer’s Exo-Grid exterior support structures that act as the first line of defense in protecting against ankle sprains and rolls. The structures boast rigid construction that will move with you. The ankle brace support stabilizer also features i-Fit that will let your ankle move naturally while ensuring that high-flex areas are secured.
- Fits the foot really well
- Perfect for athletic events and provides great support
- Lightweight yet strong enough to exceed expectations
- The packaging could be improved
Ankle braces are not just great for volleyball but also they are perfect for basketball, American football, and soccer, among other sporting activities. They can be worn to protect the ankles from injuries or to help speed up the recovery process. Their popularity is growing so rapidly that some coaches regard them as a must-have for their players. That being said, ensure you pick one once you are done reading this piece.