Whether you are a weekend warrior, or a professional woodworker, owning a portable, 20 gallon air compressor can be one of the best deals you’ll ever make. In fact, just the simple act of shooting finishing nails into your newly erected paneling with an air compressor powered nail gun, is enough to convince almost all do-it-yourselfers. These air compressors can handle a great variety of tasks, from operating your favorite paint gun to inflating tires.
However, actually finding and purchasing the best 20 gallon air compressor for your needs can seem a little tough at times. After all, you have to be certain that you’re purchasing an affordable one that actually can power your tools, and do what is expected of it. So, first things first, know what you need it for. Other considerations include: The air flow, horsepower, and whether you’ll need one that is easy to transport. Also, consider if it will have a dual purpose. For instance, will you be using it for both the home workshop/garage as well as taking it to a job site?
- 8. Industrial Air IL1682066.MN 20-Gallon Belt Driven Air Compressor
- 7. WEN 2202 20-Gallon Oil-Lubricated Portable Vertical Air Compressor
- 6. Porter Cable PXCMF220VW 20-Gallon Portable Air Compressor
- 5. DeWalt DXCMPA1982054 20-Gallon Portable Air Compressor
- 4. NorthStar Belt Drive Single-Stage 20 Gallon Portable Air Compressor
- 3. Quincy Single-Stage 20 Gallon Horizontal Tank Air Compressor
- 2. Campbell Hausfeld 20 Gallon Air Compressor
- 1. Ingersoll-Rand Garage Mate P1.5IU-A9 2 HP 20 Gallon Single Stage Portable Air Compressor
8. Industrial Air IL1682066.MN 20-Gallon Belt Driven Air Compressor
The Industrial Air, oil lubricated 20 Gallon Compressor is most certainly what you need to help get the task done, and done well. This compressor operates at 5.3 CFM, at 90 psi, and 6.2 CFM at 40 psi.
The ASME vertical, cast iron tank capacity is 135 psi max, and rolls from one area to another on durable pneumatic wheels. The motor is 1.6 horsepower, dual voltage.
Features include 120 volts, but can be converted to 240, portable, V-Twin, oil lubricated pump, quick set regulator, tank and pressure gauges. This multi-use air compressor has enough power to easily handle your nailing needs, air brushing, inflatables, or blow cleaning tasks.
- ASME certified cast iron tank
- Maximum air flow of 135 psi
- Portable with durable pneumatic tires
- Quick set regulator
7. WEN 2202 20-Gallon Oil-Lubricated Portable Vertical Air Compressor
The WEN 2202 20-Gallon Oil-Lubricated, Reinforced Steel Tank Vertical Air Compressor is just what you need to help you tackle those tasks both at home and on the job. Easy to transport, the tank comes with an integrated handle and durable wheels.
Built to be tough and portable, the WEN is able to handle anything from air brushing your van to powering your pneumatic tools. This air compressor sports a 15 amp motor which can pump out pressure to a max of 135 psi. If you’re concerned about over reaching your max pressure, don’t be as the automatic shut off function will cut power automatically.
Features include: 3.8 CFM at 90 psi and 5.0 CFM at 40 psi, easy access quick drain valve, 2 pressure gauges, and 0 .25 inch NPT quick coupler.
- Reinforced steel vertical tank
- Portable, with handle and durable wheels
- Maximum air flow of 135 psi
- Automatic shut-off function
6. Porter Cable PXCMF220VW 20-Gallon Portable Air Compressor
If you’re searching for a low maintenance air compressor to handle your pneumatic tools, air brushing needs or inflatables, then the Porter Cable PXCMF220VW 20-Gallon, ASME Tank, 120 volt Portable Air Compressor is the perfect choice for your home, workshop or job site.
This framing/roofing classified compressor has been designed with an oil-free induction motor and pump, so you’ll not have to bother with checking the oil. As for air flow, it has a 5 CFM at 40 psi, 4 CFM at 90 psi. Weighing only 97 pounds this durable, tough compressor is portable and easy to transport, and comes with 7 inch, semi-pneumatic tires, with an integrated handle.
Features include: Rubber feet for stability, 150 max psi, 15 amp motor, low voltage start up, and is 4-UL certified and CSA listed.
- Maintenance free, oil-free motor and pump
- Low voltage start up
- Easy to transport with integrated handle and 7 inch tires
- Maximum air flow of 150 psi
5. DeWalt DXCMPA1982054 20-Gallon Portable Air Compressor
With a name like DeWalt, you know you’re in for a superior air compressor. Indeed, DeWalt’s DXCMPA1982054, 20 Gallon Horizontal ASME certified Steel Tank, Portable Air Compressor is just that.
This 7.5 amp model features a twin-cylinder, cast iron pump, aluminum head, and air flow of 7.0 SCFM at 40 psi, and 5.7 SCFM at 90 psi. This 1.9 horsepower, single stage unit is classified as a framing and roofing air compressor, runs quiet at 76 dBs, and comes with a durable handle, pneumatic tires, and pressure gauge.
Features include: 155 maximum psi, quick set regulator, and Swedish Stainless Steel Reed Valves. This is a great choice for air brushing, pneumatic tool use, inflation and cleaning tasks.
- ASME certified steel tank
- Runs quiet at 76 dBs
- Maximum air flow of 155 psi
- Easy to transport with an integrated handle and pneumatic tires
4. NorthStar Belt Drive Single-Stage 20 Gallon Portable Air Compressor
NorthStars Single Stage, Portable Air Compressor is a 20 gallon vertical ASME certified tank, 2 horsepower unit that can easily handle your job site or do-it-yourself tasks. This compressor has been designed with a heavy-duty, cast iron, V Twin pump with cast iron heads and a pump life of 5000 hours.
Specs include: 115 volt/230 volt, 15/7.5A dual volt induction motor, 5.0 CFM air flow at 90 psi, 6.0 CFM air flow at 40 psi, and a total maximum psi of 135. This compressor also comes with a dual crankshaft, easy start valve, integrated regulator, and solid tires for ease of transport. As for sound, this air compressor is belt driven, so runs quiet at around 80 dBs.
- Vertical ASME certified tank
- Cast iron, V-Twin pump with 5000 hour lifespan
- Total maximum air flow of 135 psi
- Belt driven, runs quiet at 80 dBs
3. Quincy Single-Stage 20 Gallon Horizontal Tank Air Compressor
The Quincy, 19 amp, Single Stage Air Compressor is a powerful 2 Horsepower, 115 Volt, 20 Gallon, Horizontal Tank. This single stage piston compressor, comes with a cast-iron, ultra quiet pump with a 10,000 plus hour lifespan.
Features include: an aluminum head, manual drain system, enclosed belt guard, ASME safety valves, cast iron cylinder and crankshaft, air flow of 7.4 CFM at 90 psi and 8.3 CFM at 40 psi. Designed to be portable at both home, garage and work site, this compressor comes with a handy, ergonomic handle and rubber/plastic wheels.
- Ultra-quiet pump with a 10,000 hour lifespan
- ASME safety valves
- Ergonomic handle and durable tires
- Enclosed belt guard
2. Campbell Hausfeld 20 Gallon Air Compressor
If you are one of those individuals who enjoys do-it-yourself tasks, cabinet making, or simply need a dependable, light duty air compressor to handle air brushing and inflatables, then the Campbell Hausfeld Air Compressor, 14 amp, 120 volt, model DC200000 is for you.
This air compressor comes with a 20 gallon tank, 1.3 horsepower motor, and a maintenance free, oil-free pump. Transport from one area to another is made simple with its steel handle and durable wheels.
Features include: an air flow of 5.0 SCFM at 40 psi and 4.0 SCFM at 90 psi, and 150 psi maximum air flow. This is a great choice for your home workshop and handles inflating, pneumatic tools, and painting with ease.
- Light-duty air compressor
- Maintenance free, oil free pump
- Easy to transport with integrated handle and durable wheels
- Maximum air flow of 150 psi
Check Also: Best Bondhus Allen Wrench Set
1. Ingersoll-Rand Garage Mate P1.5IU-A9 2 HP 20 Gallon Single Stage Portable Air Compressor
The Garage Mate 20 Gallon Vertical Tank, 120 volt, Portable Air Compressor by Ingersoll Rand has been created with durability and dependability in mind. The Garage Mate lives up to its name as it is just as handy in your garage or workshop, as it is at the construction site.
Portable and made to transport, it comes with a heavy duty, ergonomic handle, and durable pneumatic tires. The 20 gallon, vertical tank comes with a weather resistant powder coat finish, and an easy access drain valve.
Features include: A Manual thermal overload protection, durable cast iron cylinders, cast iron frame, oil lubricated pump, and runs quiet at 75 to 80 dB. This air compressor meets OSHA requirements, comes with a pressure gauge, safety valve, regulator and 6′ power cord. Maximum psi is 135 with 5.5 CFM at 90 psi and 4.6 CFM at max psi, 2 HP, and 16 amp motor.
- Heavy-duty powder coated vertical tank
- Ergonomic handle and pneumatic tires for mobility
- Manual thermal overload protection
- Meets OSHA standards
Portable, 20 gallon air compressors are a vital addition to any home or small business workshop. These small, compact power houses offer you much in the way of service. These cost effective units are versatile and perform a variety of functions, which include operating pneumatic power tools, powering your spray guns, inflating your tires or river rafts. In the end we hope our review of the best 20 gallon air compressors assisted you in making a sound and solid decision.